Position: Events and Advocacy Fellow
Program Length: 12 months
Status: Full Time – Minimum 40 hours/week
Location: New York/Remote
The J Strategies EXCEED Fellowship aims to bridge the existing gaps to opportunities in the public affairs sector. Through this program, J Strategies will equip a young BIPOC adult with competitive work experience and strategic expertise in alliance development and event planning. J Strategies, Inc. is an innovative firm that combines alliance development, event planning, and communications strategies with traditional government affairs. With offices in Albany, New York City, Boston, and DC, this program is currently remote, but applicants should be based in the New York Metro Area or Capital Region.
During the Events & Advocacy fellowship, participants will learn to build relationships with elected officials and community partners, communicate with advocacy groups, coordinate events, draft social media, conduct research, and provide staff support. The program also includes HR and business management training and access to virtual networking events. The fellowship concludes with a capstone project that outlines a strategic alliance development campaign for a pro-bono client. The program will provide mentorship from senior-level team members at J Strategies, weekly skills training sessions, and the opportunity to advance internally. The curriculum will allow a structured and cohesive educational and professional experience from start to finish.
All individuals are welcome to apply, however, preference will be given to BIPOC applicants.
– Writing sample that best demonstrates skill, and variety of experience, maximum of 5 pages.
– Personal statement: In 500 words or less, please outline your past experiences, current career goals, and how this fellowship will help you reach them.
– Comply with J Strategies’ mission, policies, and values regarding work performance, personal conduct, and cultural environment.
– Ability to work full-time during weekday business hours. J Strategies is flexible regarding availability conflicts related to school commitments, childcare, etc.
– Interest in working in government, politics, and communications
– Strong research, verbal and written communications skills
Education: Must have obtained a Bachelor’s degree within 3 years of program start date.
Salary: $37,000 – $45,000 Full benefits package, includes health insurance, retirement, vacation and holiday pay, and reimbursement of expenses.
To Apply: Please email your resume, a writing sample, and personal statement directly to email@example.com by May 15, 2021.